- »

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tips for Tooth Brushing

When I was in college I decided to give my local dental hygene program an opportunity to work on my teeth. At the time I assumed that it would be an opportunity for a free on hour . Boy - was I wrong. After reviewing the state of my teeth in horror for what seemed like hours, I was told that I had "pockets" of 4 and 5. This meant nothing to me at the time, but they emphasized that they needed patients with these qualities and they said it in a way that made me think it wasn't a good thing.

When they asked me if I flossed, I said sure and promtply gave them a demonstration showing how I managed floss both sides of my mouth with a single jab. They were clearly mistified by my awesome preventative abilities, or so I thought.

I spent every tuesday thereafter falling asleep in the dental hygene chair for weeks on end. That experiece taught me never to negect my teeth again and now I make sure to use all the right flossing and brushing to avoid more dental embarassments. Here are some things I learned:


Type of Toothbrush: I found that the toothbrush that works the best at the gumline is Sonicare - it is expensive but it reduces dental bills. However, if ou are patient and have good technique, you can use any brand of toothbrush you like. Try to buy one that is soft and has lots of bristles. Change your toothbrush often, no less than every three months. Toothbrushes are cheap compared to cavities. Make sure to change out the brushes regularly.

Type of Toothpaste: You should choose a toothpaste that will motivate you to brush. Avoid frequent use of whitening toothpaste. Any toothpaste that has fluoride is preferred. Fluoride can protect and rebuild your tooth structure. .

Flossing: I thought I was flossing correctly for years - but it turns out I didnt have the right technique. As your dental hygenist to demonstrate the correct technique the next time you are at the dentist Pennsylvania. You may be suprized at what you learn.

Dental Maintenance: Most dentists will ask you to go in for a cleaning every 6 months. This is also the most that your insurance will pay for, but you can always go more regularly if you have gingivitis.

Although I only brush twice a day (the shame!) it is recommended that you actually brush five times a day. Brush when you wake up, after breakfast, after work, after dinner, and before bedtime. There are folks at my office who bring their toothbrushes to work and I bet they have very low stress visits to their dentist as a result.

So, there you have it - my tips for beautiful, clean teeth, no gingivitis and great breath. Figure out what you can commit to for dental care Pennsylvania and stick to it!


0 comments: